My Whole Carpet Smells Like Dog Pee - What to Do Now
November 02, 2022 | Remove dog smell
Man’s best friend will not always bring only joy to your life. There’ll be times when, like other dog owners, you’ll say, “My whole carpet smells like dog pee.”
Fido might be the best-behaved dog in the neighborhood, but pee accidents can still happen no matter how careful you are and how well-trained the dog is. This is especially true with older dogs and puppies.
In addition to being downright embarrassing when you have guests, continuously inhaling pet urine smell isn’t particularly good for your lungs.
Learn how to lift the awful smell of dog pee out of your carpet and discover effective cleaners for the job.
How to Remove New Dog Pee Stains and Smell From Carpet
Getting dog pee smell out of your carpet (or any pet urine, for that matter!) requires the right cleaner. You might be using the wrong product or cleaning method if you find yourself thinking, “My whole carpet smells like dog pee after cleaning!”
If your dog just peed on the carpet, we recommend the following steps to clean the urine and lift the smell off your carpet.
- Grab some paper towels and dab the wet area. Alternatively, place the paper towels on the wet spot, add a thick layer of newspaper, and step or stand on those for a few minutes. This will absorb the urine a lot quicker.
- Once you’ve removed the excess liquid, take out all the paper and clean the spot with cold water.
- Blot the area with a wet vacuum cleaner or towels. Whatever you do, never use a steam cleaner anywhere near pet pee, as that can make the dog urine odor worse.
- Now that you’ve cleaned the urine from the carpet, it’s time to get rid of the smell. Use a non-toxic, chemical-free cleaner and odor remover like the OdorKlenz Pet Urine Eliminator to remove the dog pee smell. This cleaner and odor eliminator neutralizes and eliminates stubborn urine odors safely and effectively, thanks to its powerful but gentle ingredients and earth mineral technology.
- Use your fingers or a comb to work the cleaner deeply into the carpet’s fiber and allow it to sit for about 15 minutes.
- Extract the cleaner using clean water and a towel. Thoroughly rinse the spot and dry it with a towel.
- You might need to reapply the cleaner and repeat the cleanup process a few times to completely rid the spot of the dog pee smell. If you have a vacuum cleaner, vacuum up any remaining residue once the spot is dry.
How to Remove Dried Dog Urine From Carpets
Sometimes, finding the exact spot on the carpet where Fido peed can be tricky because the urine has dried up long ago. But it doesn’t matter how long the urine’s been set; you can trace and remove invisible stains and foul odors with this simple trick. Shine a blacklight on your carpet to reveal invisible dried urine stains.
Next, follow these steps:
- Rinse the area on the carpet using plain cold or warm water. Wet and blot the area repeatedly using a clean towel until the stain disappears under the blacklight. If you have a wet-dry vacuum cleaner, use it to saturate and vacuum the spot until it is clean.
- Next, apply the OdorKlenz Pet Urine Eliminator to get rid of odor-causing particles on a deeper level.
Getting rid of the dried pet urine smell from the carpet usually takes longer than cleaning and removing new urine. However, the job is easier with the right pet odor cleaner.
How to Remove Dog Pee Smell From Subfloor
If you aren’t very sensitive to smell, you might only get to notice the stench of dog pee when the urine has already soaked through your carpet and made its way to the subfloor. Removing dog pee odor from the subfloor usually involves ripping out the carpet and padding (or underlay) to get to the subfloor.
However, you don’t have to go through all that trouble if you have an effective, deep-penetrating product like the OdorKlenz Subfloor Treatment Kit. This chemical-free cleaner comes complete as a DIY kit for long-term odor control.
Here’s how to rid your subfloor of dog pee smell without the hassles of peeling back your carpet.
- Identify the contaminated area (you might need to use a blacklight to find the urine stain) and rinse it using a clean paper towel and plain water.
- Add water to the OdorKlez subfloor treatment packet and fill the dispensing tube.
- Inject the treatment directly through the carpet and padding to the subfloor (no need to remove the carpet).
- Blot out excess water from the carpet surface and allow the carpet cleaner to do its job.
Chemical-Free Carpet Cleaners
“I’ve used various non-toxic cleaning products. Still, my whole carpet smells like dog pee!” If that sounds like you, you’re probably wondering if chemical-free products actually work for the urine odor.
Many homeowners understand the dangers of using products for pet urine odor made from harsh or toxic chemicals.
Cleaning furniture or fabric with chemical-laden products can lead to various health problems or trigger allergies. Besides, the products are not safe to use around kids and pets.
While many people understand the risk of using chemical-laden cleaning products, there is a widespread misconception when it comes to choosing chemical-free cleaners. The common assumption is that “chemical-free” automatically means “home remedies.” And that’s not surprising, considering DIY remedies are touted as effective and safe.
However, not every store-bought carpet cleaning product contains harmful or harsh chemicals. OdorKlenz has a range of chemical-free, fragrance-free cleaning solutions for removing stubborn stains and smells from carpets and other household items.
The products are formulated using earth mineral technology designed to capture and neutralize odor-causing particles. While they produce quick and effective results, OdorKlenz cleaners do not contain bleaching agents and are safe to use around children and pets.
✓ Made of Safe, Natural earth minerals that provide a complete odor elimination
✓ Fast acting, without the use of masking agents or fragrances
✓ Made from castile soap, vegetable glycerin, and metal oxides
✓ Helps clean while it deodorizes