How to Get Urine Smell Out of Couch - 4 Chemical-Free Methods
September 15, 2022 | Remove urine odors
Got urine on your couch? We’ve all been there, and it’s common in homes with younger children and pets. The key to preventing your home from reeking of pee is to get the urine out of the couch as quickly as possible.
However, you can still eliminate the pet odor from your couch even if you didn’t notice the wet spot in time. Be aware that getting rid of the dried urine stain and smell will require a bit more elbow grease combined with highly effective cleaners.
Whatever the case, here’s how to get urine odor out of couch using chemical-free methods.
Check Your Couch Label First Before Cleaning
It is essential to check the label on your couch before using any cleaning product on it. The cleaning solution suitable for your couch is specified in the care instruction found on the label.
Typically, the labels are:
- S: An “S” label is common on microfiber couches. It means the couch must be cleaned with solvent-based cleaner only. Don’t use water-based cleaners if your couch has this label.
- W: Couches with the “W” label can be cleaned with water-based cleaners. The market has many options for water-based cleaners, but it is important to choose chemical-free products when removing smells and urine stains from your couch.
- SW: The “SW” label on your couch means you can use water or a solvent-based cleaner for the fabric.
- X: If your couch has the “X” label, you can only remove dirt and debris from the surface using a vacuum cleaner. You cannot use any cleaning solution on this type of couch. Call in a professional if you need to remove urine smell or stain from an “X” labeled couch.
If you’re unsure of the label on your couch or simply can’t find it, we recommend using a small amount of the cleaner on a hidden portion of your couch first. This way, if the cleaner causes any damage, it won’t be easily seen. However, it is usually best to consult a professional cleaner to help you determine the best cleaning solution if you can’t determine the care label.
With that out of the way, here are four chemical-free methods to rid your couch of pee smell.
How to Get Urine Smell Out of Couch
Method 1: Eliminate Urine Smell With a Chemical-Free Cleaner
Neutralize and remove urine smell from your coach with the OdorKlenz Source Odor Treatment. This water-based, chemical-free cleaner is great for removing the toughest urine stains and smells from couches that can tolerate water.
To use this method:
- Use a clean cloth to apply the cleaner to the soiled spot.
- Work the product into the couch and saturate the area with clean water.
- Allow the cleaner to sit for 15 minutes before cleaning off with a wet towel.
Method 2: Use Pet-Specific Odor Remover to Eliminate Animal Pee Smell
Pet urine can give off a very offensive odor, especially if you don’t notice it quickly and your animal companion repeats the behavior.
For example, cats can return to the same spot to pee if you don’t discourage them. And if that cat pee stain is on your couch, it will soon reek of ammonia (a common cat urine odor)!
Here’s how to remove the urine odor from your couch:
- For fresh pet accidents, grab a paper towel and soak up the excess urine. The more urine you can remove, the better.
- Use warm water to dampen the spot (don’t use hot water).
- Use a clean towel or vacuum cleaner to remove the excess water. This will rinse off the urine.
- Liberally add a pet-specific odor cleaner like the OdorKlenz Pet Urine Eliminator to the soiled area and work it into the couch fabric.
- Allow the cleaner to sit for about 15 minutes before cleaning off the residue using a damp towel.
- Allow the couch to dry.
To learn more about effective ways to remove cat pee from the carpet, read our detailed guide here.
Method 3: Remove the Pee Smell With Upholstery Cleaning
Another chemical-free way to remove the urine smell from your couch is to use an upholstery cleaning machine. To do this:
- Use paper towels to clean any visible pee stain on the couch.
- Add the recommended amount of cleaning solution (remember to use a chemical-free cleaner).
- Work the urine stain and use the machine’s suction to pull out the pee from the coach fiber.
- Allow the coach to dry.
Method 4: Non-Toxic Dish Soap for Leather Couches
Removing the urine odor from leather couches can be tricky. The good news is that you can reduce the pee odor by identifying and cleaning the urine stain. Keep in mind that many store-bought cleaners contain harsh chemicals that can damage the leather, which is why it is best to call in a professional upholstery cleaning company if you’re unsure.
If you choose to clean your leather coach yourself, here’s how to do it:
- Use a paper towel to absorb any visible liquid on the couch.
- Add some drops of non-toxic dish soap to warm water and froth up the mixture.
- Gently pick up the foam with a clean cloth and wipe down the area.
- Place a bowl containing coffee grounds near the couch overnight to remove any lingering odor.
Although this last method uses non-toxic dish soap, the pee smell may still linger for a while. If you choose this option, consider improving air circulation and ventilation in your home using the OdorKlenz Mobile Air System. This portable air cleaner is specifically designed to neutralize and eliminate all types of odors in the home.
Chemical-Free Cleaners Are Great for Your Couch and Household
Not knowing how to get urine smell out of couch can ruin a relaxing day on the couch and can be very embarrassing if you have guests. Thankfully, you now know exactly how to eliminate the foul smell without hurting your couch fabric.
Most importantly, using chemical-free cleaners means you won’t have to worry about the health and safety of your kids and pets. All OdorKlenz cleaners are formulated without chemicals, bleach, or fragrance, making them the top choice for homeowners who want chemical-free cleaning solutions.
Source Odor Eliminator
$19.99 - $34.99
✓ Made of Safe, Natural earth minerals that provide a complete odor elimination
✓ Fast acting, without the use of masking agents or fragrances
✓ Made from castile soap, vegetable glycerin, and metal oxides
✓ Helps clean while it deodorizes
OdorKlenz Source Odor TreatmentShop Source Odor Treatment
- Made of Safe, Natural earth minerals that provide a complete odor elimination
- Fast acting, without the use of masking agents or fragrances
- Made from castile soap, vegetable glycerin, and metal oxides
- Helps clean while it deodorizes